Full of all the delicious cheesy tomato flavor you’d expect from a traditional margherita pizza, but with only a fraction of the carbs, fat and calories. After one slice of this lightened-up version, you’ll never look back!
This healthy pizza is so similar to an ordinary margherita pizza because it’s got pretty much all the same ingredients, with just a few healthier substitutions. Instead of a nutrient-lacking pizza base, this recipe uses a whole wheat tortilla and a small amount of low-fat mozzarella replaces the mountains of full-fat cheese normally used in pizza. You can easily add on insane amounts of calories with pizza toppings, but we’re keeping it fresh and healthy by only using one juicy tomato and a sprinkling of aromatic basil.
This recipe makes one small tortilla pizza which is enough to serve one adult as a main meal. However you can easily increase the ingredients in the recipe to make as many pizzas as you like. This tortilla pizza is definitely best eaten freshly straight from the pan, but you can prepare it ahead of time and warm it up when you’re ready to eat.
To make this tortilla pizza in advance, follow the recipe below and wait until the pizza has cooled to room temperature before cutting into slices and storing inside a Ziploc bag or a sealed plastic container. The pizza will then keep perfectly well in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months. When you’re ready to eat, warm the pizza back up in a dry frying pan for a crispy crust, or in the microwave if you don’t mind the base being soft.
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 2 tablespoons marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Place a large dry frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Spread the tortilla with the marinara sauce and sprinkle on top the mozzarella cheese.
- Add the sliced tomato in a single layer and scatter over the dried basil.
- Use a large spatula to transfer the tortilla pizza into the dry frying pan and cook for around 5 minutes, until the base is crispy and the cheese is melted. If your cheese isn’t melting well, place a lid on top of the pan. Serve the tortilla pizza immediately whilst hot.