Texas caviar is also known as black bean salad. It can be eaten as a snack, appetizer, side dish, salad topping and more. It is a simple dish that takes no more than 10-15 minutes to make and is a crowd pleaser at parties year round.
I bring this to almost every single potluck that I am invited to. Every time, people ask me for the recipe because it is that good.
What I love about this recipe is that it is so easy to make. The most common way to serve it is with tortilla chips but you can also eat this as a salad on its own, on top of lettuce, over chicken, in a tortilla, etc. It lasts a couple of days in the fridge as well and is great for leftovers.
The beans are a great source of protein, fiber and phosphorus. The beans also help to fill you up so that you eat more of this nutritious salad instead of another heavier dish. Bell peppers are rich in vitamins A and C. Tomatoes are loaded with lycopene. Corn is rich in beta-carotene and pantothenic acid. The dressing is kept simple and light with lime juice, seasonings, vinegar and olive oil.
Serve this up for your next gathering and you will be sure to receive many compliments. I bring this to almost every single potluck that I am invited to. Every time, people ask me for the recipe because it is that good.
- 1 can of rinsed, no-added salt black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together and serve.
- It tastes the best when it has a couple of hours to marinate.
- Serve with tortilla chips or on top of a salad.