Strawberries are in season right now all over the US. And a great way to make the most of this yummy fruit is to use it as the filling for these strawberry oat squares! Because strawberries are already sweet and juicy, they’re perfect for using as a jelly-like filling. Sure, you could use store-bought strawberry jelly as the filling.
But why bother when fresh strawberries are so much healthier and tastier? Plus the filling only takes a couple of minutes to throw together, so you won’t be stuck in the kitchen all day making it.
The coconut oil in this recipe adds another incredible layer of flavor and also helps bind the mixture together. If you’re not a big fan of the tropical coconut flavor, you’ll need to use a dairy or nut butter instead. Don’t substitute another kind of oil or your squares will fall apart when you try and slice them!
This recipe makes 9 large dessert squares or 16 smaller bite-size squares. But you can easily halve the ingredients to make fewer squares or increase the ingredients to make as many squares as you need. This recipe stores really well, making it perfect for preparing in advance when you’ve got an hour to spare.
If you follw the recipe below, leave the squares to cool down to room temperature and wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, they’ll store in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months.
- 1 cup oats
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons stevia powder
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line an 8”x8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- Stir together the oats, flour, sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Pour in the coconut oil and mix until you’ve got a damp breadcrumb-like texture.
- Separate ½ cup of the mix and set it to one side.
- Sprinkle the remaining mix i
- Toss together the strawberries, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice and stevia powder.
- Layer the strawberries on top of the chilled base and evenly sprinkle over the ½ cup of the original mix you set aside in step 4.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and leave to cool on a wire rack before slicing into 9 large squares.