Salads aren’t just for summer and this recipe proves it. Made with root vegetables which are sprinkled with fragrant spices and drizzled with sweet honey before being slowly roasted to perfection in the oven, this winter salad makes it easy (and delicious!) to get some extra fruit and veg into your daily diet.
My favourite way to enjoy this salad is exactly like you see in the pictures. The high fibre content of the veggies means this salad is surprisingly filling on its own. However, if you’ve got a big appetite and you need a little more, you could stuff the veggies inside a whole wheat wrap, lay them on top of a baked potato or scatter them on a piece of wholemeal toast.
This recipe makes enough to serve one adult as a main meal or two adults as a side dish, but you can easily increase the ingredients to make enough to serve as many people as you need to. Although this roasted vegetable salad is definitely best straight from the oven, when the vegetables are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, you can make it in advance and then re-heat it later on when you’re ready to eat.
To prepare this meal in advance, follow the instructions for the roasted vegetables below but instead of placing them in a serving bowl, place them in a plastic container. Leave to cool to room temperature before popping a lid on the container and placing in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months. Then when you’re ready to eat, warm the roasted vegetables up in the microwave whilst you prepare the dressing.
1 cup diced raw butternut squash
1/3 cup diced beet
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons natural or Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and add the diced butternut squash and beet into a small baking tray.
2. Sprinkle over the cayenne pepper, paprika and ground cinnamon then drizzle over the olive oil and honey.
3. Use a spoon to toss the vegetables, making sure they’re evenly coated with the spices then bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
4. Whilst the vegetables are roasting, stir together the yogurt, lemon juice and ground coriander in a small bowl – this will be your dressing.
5. After 30 minutes in the oven, remove the roasted vegetables and tip them into a serving bowl. Drizzle over the lemon yogurt dressing, sprinkle over sunflower seeds and serve.