Quinoa is the super ingredient in this recipe because it’s packed full of so much goodness you’ll hardly believe it! This miracle grain is high in protein, contains almost twice the fiber of other grains and is packed full of iron, an important mineral that can be hard to get enough of in vegetarian and vegan diets.
This recipe makes four quinoa stuffed pepper halves which is enough to serve two adults as a main meal or two children, but you can easily halve the ingredients to make just one adult portion or increase the ingredients to feed a crowd.
These quinoa stuffed peppers store wonderfully, making them perfect to prepare in advance so you’ve got a quick and easy dinner to hand when you haven’t got much time to spend in the kitchen. If you place the stuffed peppers in individual portions inside Ziploc bags or air-tight containers, this dish will store perfectly well in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six month. When you’re ready to eat, simply heat the peppers in the microwave until piping hot and you’re good to go!
- 2 bell peppers
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/3 cup black beans, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup sweetcorn
- Fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 400°C. Slice each of the bell peppers in half and scoop out the seeds inside. Place each pepper half open-side-down onto a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and vegetable stock into a medium-sized saucepan over a medium-high heat and cook for around 20 minutes, until the quinoa is soft and has absorbed all the stock.
- When cooked, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, ground paprika, black beans and sweet corn.
- Stuff each pepper half with ¼ of the quinoa mixture, sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve.