This quinoa spinach mug omelet is made from simple everyday ingredients, takes just 15 minutes to make and is packed full of so much protein it’s guaranteed to keep you full until lunchtime at the earliest!
Although eggs have a bit of a bad reputation, they’re full of protein and the average healthy person can eat up to seven of them every week without risking increased cholesterol. Cottage cheese and quinoa add two more layers of texture to keep things interesting whilst seriously boosting the protein levels, too.
This recipe makes one mug omelet which is enough to serve one adult as a main dish, but you can easily halve the ingredients to make a smaller mug omelet or increase them to make as many mug omelets as you want. If you do make several mug omelets, you’ll need to cook them individually in the microwave for 2 minutes each because if you cook them all together, they won’t cook evenly.
This quinoa spinach mug omelet is definitely best served fresh straight from the microwave, but you can prepare it in advance if you’re really short of time in the morning. To make this dish ahead of time, follow the recipe below and leave the omelet to cool down to room temperature.
When cool, wrap the mug with plastic wrap or tin foil and store in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months. Then when you’re ready to eat, simply remove the plastic wrap or tin foil and heat the omelet up in the microwave until piping hot.
- 2 tablespoons uncooked quinoa
- ¼ cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 small handful fresh spinach
- 2 medium-sized eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cottage cheese
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Place the uncooked quinoa and vegetable stock or water into a large mug. Microwave on full power for 5 minutes.
- Stir, return to the microwave and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the quinoa is totally soft and cooked.
- Place the spinach on top of the cooked quinoa and cook in the microwave for 1 minute, until the spinach has wilted.
- Stir the beaten eggs, cottage cheese, salt and pepper into the mug. Make sure everything is thoroughly mixed up.
- Cook in the microwave for a final 2 minutes, until the top of the omelet is springy to the touch. Serve immediately whilst hot.