Even the healthiest of us have junk food cravings sometimes and when your sweet tooth comes a callin’, there’s nothing quite like a giant, gooey cinnamon roll. But instead of choosing a traditional sugar-filled, fat-loaded and calorie-packed cinnamon roll that you’ll only feel bad about seconds after you finish it, choose to make these healthier, lighter cinnamon roll scones instead!
These scones taste just as good as a cinnamon roll, but they won’t leave you feeling bloated and unhealthy after enjoying one. The scones are light and fluffy with just the perfect amount of cinnamon and the cream cheese glaze on top is just sweet enough to tell you’re getting a treat.
Although these scones don’t actually contain any really nutritious ingredients and they’re not packed with vitamins and minerals, they’re not loaded with sugar or fat either. Not everything you eat has to be incredibly beneficial for you – everything in moderation, as they say!
This recipe makes eight large cinnamon roll scones and because it contains one whole egg, it can be a bit tricky to scale down the ingredients and make a smaller batch. However, you can easily increase the amount of ingredients and make a much bigger batch of scones if you wish.
These scones store really well, so you can prepare them on a weekend when you’ve got a bit of spare time and then keep them in the fridge or freezer so you’ve got plenty of healthy sweet treats to get you through the week without knocking your healthy diet off balance.
To store these scones, follow the recipe below then place the scones inside a Ziploc bag. Try not to scrape the cream cheese glaze along the inside of the bag or things will get messy! You can then keep the scones in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months.
For the scones:
- ½ cup skimmed milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon + extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
For the glaze:
- 1 tablespoon fat-free cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and beat together the milk, sugar, vanilla extract and egg in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together both flours, the ground cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Grate the cold butter into the dry ingredients and rub it in with your fingertips until you’ve got a breadcrumb-like texture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until a dough forms.
- Scoop the dough out onto a baking tray lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and form it into one huge round scone about 2 inches thick.
- Use a sharp knife to create indents in the scone dough, separating it into 8 large scones.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the tops are just starting to turn golden brown. Remove the scones from the oven and leave to cool on the baking tray for around 20 minutes until they reach room temperature.
- When fully cooled, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and skimmed milk in a small bowl. This is your cream cheese glaze.
- Use a knife to cut along the indents of the giant scone and separate it into individual scones.
- Pour the cream cheese glaze on top of each scone and use a small spoon to spread it out. Sprinkle each scone with a bit of extra ground cinnamon.