As spring rolls around, there’s usually one dessert which we all start craving – carrot cake! But with all that oil and sugar in the cake, plus insane amounts of cream cheese, butter and sugar in the frosting, just a small slice of cake can easily contain more calories than your main meal of the day. So what’s the solution? Healthy carrot cake cupcakes!
These cupcakes are much lower in fat and calories than a typical slice of carrot cake, but they taste just as good so that you won’t even miss the bad stuff. And better yet – because they’re packed full of nutritious grated carrot, each cupcake contains over 50% of your recommended daily allowance of vitamin A! So you seriously do not have to feel bad about nibbling one of these sweet treats.
To keep the calorie, fat and sugar content down, there is no frosting to top these cupcakes, but that just makes them more versatile. Since they’re only a little bit sweet and they’re packed full of healthy ingredients, you can easily treat yourself to a carrot cake cupcake for breakfast every now and then without feeling guilty in the slightest.
This recipe makes five small cupcakes, but you can easily decrease the ingredients to make fewer cupcakes or increase them to make a bigger batch. Cupcakes stored inside an air-tight container or inside a Ziploc bag will keep well for up to one week in the fridge or up to six months in the freezer.
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot (from about 1 small carrot)
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F and line a cupcake pan with 5 paper liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in the applesauce, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar. Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, until you’ve got a thick batter.
- Sprinkle the shredded carrot into the bowl and fold it in. Be careful not to over-stir!
- Evenly divide the cupcake batter between the 5 paper liners and bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for around 19 minutes, until the top of the cupcakes are springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack in the cupcake pan.