Now that grilling season is finally here, it’s a good idea to have a strong arsenal of healthy side dish recipes for barbecues, picnics and other outdoor get togethers and this recipe is certainly one you’ll want to make a note of. Although these baked zucchini fries don’t have the same texture as a typical french fry, they’ve got much more flavor and are so much better for you.
Because zucchini is pretty mild on flavor and the texture has been totally transformed thanks to the crisp and crunchy panko breadcrumbs, people will never know these are zucchini fries if you don’t tell them. So the next time you’re asked to bring a side dish to a party, bring a great big plate full of these, add a few yummy dipping sauces and watch people go back time and time again for more!
These baked zucchini fries store and reheat really well, so you can prepare a great bit batch when you’ve got some time spare and store them in the fridge or freezer. To prep this dish in advance, follow the recipe below and leave the fries to cool to room temperature. Then place the fries inside a Ziploc bag or in a plastic container and store in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months. Then when you’re ready to eat, simply heat the zucchini fries back up in a 400°F preheated oven and they’ll crisp right back up.
- 1 zucchini
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a non-stick mat.
- Peel the zucchini and slice into thick fry shapes.
- Tip the panko breadcrumbs out onto a small plate or dish and stir in the garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
- Pour the beaten egg white onto a second small plate or dish.
- In turn, dip each zucchini fry into the egg white, making sure each side is thoroughly covered, then roll each fry into the seasoned breadcrumbs until it’s generously coated.
- Repeat the above step with the rest of the zucchini fries and space them out onto the lined baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are crispy and golden brown. Enjoy immediately with your favorite dipping sauces whilst hot.