Inspired by the incredible flavors of the popular everything bagels, the mashed avocado in this super quick and easy recipe is sprinkled with garlic and onion powder, poppy seeds and sesame seeds.
Whether you enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack, pretty much everyone loves avocado on toast these days – and it’s no wonder why! This simple dish takes just minutes to make, it’s always delicious and it’s packed full of goodness. Whole wheat bread is loaded with filling fiber (plus extra protein and healthy fats if you choose a seeded loaf) while avocado has so many health benefits that it’s almost impossible to list them all!
Avocadoes contain a plethora of vitamins, minerals, protein and healthy fats and they’re also free from cholesterol and sodium.
This recipe makes enough to serve one person, but you can easily increase the ingredients to serve as many people as you need to. Although these toasts are definitely best eaten straight away when the avocado is freshly mashed, you can make the avocado ahead of time to make prep easier when you’re ready to eat.
To make the avocado in advance, mash it up and mix it with the salt and lemon juice. Scoop the mashed avocado into a plastic container or a Ziploc bag then store in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months. The longer the mashed avocado is exposed to the air in the fridge, the browner it will go, so try and eat it as soon as you can.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon of each: garlic powder, onion powder, poppy seeds, sesame seeds
- Pop the whole wheat bread into the toaster and toast to your liking.
- Meanwhile, scoop the flesh out of the avocado and mash in a small bowl with a fork until mostly smooth.
- Stir in the salt and lemon juice.
- Spread the mashed avocado onto the toast.
- Evenly sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder, poppy seeds and sesame seeds on top of the toasts.