The apples mixed into the batter and nestled on top of the cake keep it fantastically moist and yummy and also add some natural sweetness. This means you only need to add a tiny bit of brown sugar to the batter for a perfectly sweet cake.
You can easily turn a slice of this delicious apple cake into a decadent dessert by serving it up with a scoop of frozen yogurt or a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon. If you really love apples, you can even add a spoonful of warm applesauce or cook some apple chunks with a little water and cinnamon in a saucepan until soft and add them to the plate!
This apple cake can be cut into six small slices, but you can easily increase the ingredients and bake a larger cake if you need more portions. If you do decide to bake a bigger cake, make sure you use a larger cake pan (or a deep 9” cake pan) and increase the cooking time. A good way to check to see if the cake is baked properly is to stick a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean without any crumbs, your cake is fully baked.
This apple cake is best served warm from the oven or at room temperature the next day, but you can easily prepare the cake in advance and store it until you need it. To make the cake ahead of time, follow the recipe below and leave the cake to cool to room temperature. Then wrap the cake up in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months.
• 1 large apple
• 1 egg
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• ¼ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9” round cake pan.
2. Peel, core and slice the apple in half. Cut one half of the apple into six slices. Cut the other half of the apple into small chunks.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the egg, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice for 1 minute, until frothy.
4. Add in the brown sugar, flour, baking powder and skimmed milk. Beat again until you’ve got a thick batter.
5. Stir the apple chunks into the batter and spread it inside the prepared cake pan.
6. Nestle the apple slices into the top of the apple like the petals of a flower and bake in the pre-heated oven for around 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and springy to the touch.
7. Leave the cake to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before cutting into six slices and serving.