The base of these dessert bars is made from crushed graham crackers and coconut butter instead of oil. Not only is coconut butter much healthier than butter, but it also adds another level of incredible flavor to the dish. The filling is made from protein-packed Greek yogurt, light cream cheese, eggs, lemons and just a tiny amount of sugar to offset the zing from the citrus fruit.
This recipe makes 9 large dessert bars, but you can easily halve the ingredients to only make 4 or 5 dessert bars or increase the ingredients to make a larger batch. These bars are definitely best eaten fresh after they’ve cooled, but you can make them ahead of time and store them until you’re ready to eat.
To prepare this dessert in advance, follow the recipe below and wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap. You can then store the dessert bars in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to six months. If you freeze the dessert bars or leave them in the fridge for more than 3 days, the base will become very soggy.
Unfortunately, there’s not very much you can do about this, so it’s definitely best to eat them fresh!
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6oz light cream cheese
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9” square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut butter in the microwave until it is liquid and stir in the graham cracker crumbs until they’ve absorbed all the liquid.
- Tip the mixture into the lined baking square and press it down with the back of a large spoon. Make sure you get it right into the corners of the pan!
- Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. When cooked, remove from the oven and set to one side.
- Whilst the base is baking, beat together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice until totally combined.
- Pour the filling onto the cooked base and bake in the oven for a further 25 minutes, until the edges are fully set but there’s still a bit of a wobble in the center.
- Leave for 30 minutes to cool down to room temperature then wrap with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours before slicing into 9 squares.