Post workout, you need to refuel your body within 30 to 90 minutes post-exercise. The nutrients that you want to focus on the most are protein and carbohydrates. This recipe provides protein from the chicken, peas and cheese. Carbohydrates come from the pasta and peas. This meal is hearty, easy and flavorful and is the perfect post-workout meal!
Kale is rich in vitamins A, K and C making it a nutrient rich ingredient. There have also been 45 different flavonoids identified in kale which provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits which is perfect for athletes.
Carbohydrates are very important for athletes for energy. The energy that carbohydrates provide helps fuel muscle contractions. When you eats carbohydrates, they will be broken down into smaller sugars, get absorbed and will be used as energy. Any additional glucose that is not used right away gets stored in the muscles and the liver as glycogen. Glycogen is used for exercise for running, weightlifting and more.
The chicken and parmesan cheese are good sources of protein which is important for your muscles. Peas are rich in vitamins A and C and contain protein as well.
This dish is a complete meal that is simple, quick and delicious! Make it for dinner one night or make it ahead of time during your weekly meal prep.
- 1 package tortellini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1. Over medium heat, add olive oil to a pan. Add chicken and sauté until chicken is cooked though and lightly browned. Cut into strips.
2. Meanwhile, prepare tortellini according to directions. Once cooked through, drain water.
3. Toss together tortellini, chicken, peas, kale, pesto, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well.