Packed full incredible flavor – succulent chicken, spicy salsa, creamy Greek yogurt (a healthy alternative to sour cream), smoky cheese and smooth avocado – these burritos are way better than anything you’ll get in a restaurant or supermarket and they’re so much better for you, too! These chicken avocado burritos taste amazing on their own, but to make them into a full meal, consider serving them alongside a fresh, crisp salad or some seasonal roast veggies.
This recipe makes two burritos which is enough to serve two adults as part of a main meal. However, you can decrease the ingredients to make just one serving or increase them to make as many burritos as you need. These burritos store really well, which means you can enjoy them fresh from the pan or store them for a quick, healthy meal that’s ready and waiting for you when you haven’t got time to cook.
To prepare these burritos in advance, follow the recipe below but stop after rolling each tortilla into a burrito shape. Then wrap each burrito in tin foil or plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to six months or in the fridge for up to five days. Then when you’re ready to eat, let the burritos defrost, if frozen, and cook in a dry pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- 1 uncooked chicken breast
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 medium-size avocado, diced into small chunks
- Slice the chicken breast in half lengthways and place in a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until both chicken pieces are cooked through, white on the inside and brown on the outside.
- Whilst the chicken in cooking, spread each tortilla with the salsa and yogurt.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place each piece in the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle over the grated cheese and top with the diced avocado.
- Wrap each tortilla up into a burrito shape and place fold-side-down in a dry pan over a medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately whilst hot.