Not many fancy salads come together in just 30 minutes, but that’s exactly how long it takes to make this salad, including the balsamic chicken and lemon cauliflower rice, all from scratch. The longer you leave the chicken breast to marinate in the balsamic vinegar dressing, the more intense and delicious the flavors will be.
So if you can marinate for 24 hours, do it! But if you’ve only got 10 minutes spare, that’s fine, too. You’ll still get the sweetness from the balsamic vinegar and the citrus zing from the lemon juice. The flavors just won’t be that strong, that’s all.
If you’ve never had cauliflower rice before, this is a great way to try it. Unlike ordinary white or brown rice, cauliflower rice is totally gluten-free, is low in calories and adds a subtle flavor to any dish.
This recipe makes two salads, but you can easily halve the ingredients to make just one salad or increase them to make as many salads as you like. This salad is great whether it’s served hot or cold, making it ideal for preparing ahead of time so you only have to pull it out of the fridge when you’re ready to eat.
To prepare this dish in advance, follow the recipe below but keep the cooked cauliflower rice and cooked chicken separate from the salad. Plate up the salad and cover each of the plates with plastic wrap.
Leave the cauliflower and chicken to cool to room temperature then store the cauliflower in a plastic container and wrap the chicken up in plastic wrap.
Store everything in the fridge and when you’re ready to eat, assemble the salads and enjoy!
For the chicken
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the cauliflower rice
- ½ small head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the salad
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- ½ small onion, sliced into rounds
- 10 olives, pitted
- Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally and mix together the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and salt. Pour over the chicken breast slices and make sure they’re both totally covered. If you can, leave the chicken to marinate for up to 24 hours in a sealed container in the fridge. But if you haven’t got the time, 10 minutes of marinating will be fine.
- After the chicken has marinated, heat a large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and cook the chicken breast slices for 4 minutes on each side, until dark brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, make the cauliflower rice. Grate the cauliflower and place it into a microwave-safe bowl with the stock, lemon juice and salt.
- Place in the microwave and cook covered for 5 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the cauliflower rice is cooked.
- To assemble each salad, place 1 cup of shredded lettuce, 1 sliced tomato, half the sliced onion, 5 olives and half the cauliflower rice onto each plate. Top each salad with one of the chicken breast slices and serve immediately whilst the chicken is still hot.