Two things make these veggie burgers so much better than any ordinary meat burger – texture and taste. Because the cauliflower doesn’t get entirely pureed by the food processor, there are still small chunks of it in each burger. Combine that with the crunch from the onions and smoothness from the vegan cheese and you’ve got layers upon layers of incredible burger texture!
In a regular meat burger, there’s only one main flavor – the meat – but because there are so many powerful ingredients in this recipe, you get burst after burst of flavor. The subtleness of the cauliflower, the sweetness of the onion and garlic, the creaminess of the vegan cheese and the heat from the spices all work together so you get a different taste sensation in almost every bite.
This recipe makes 4 burgers, but you can easily decrease the ingredients to make fewer burgers or increase them to make as many burgers as you want. These burgers store and reheat remarkably well, so they’re perfect to prepare ahead of time so you’ve got a quick and healthy meal ready in minutes when you haven’t got time to cook.
To prepare these burgers in advance, follow the recipe below but leave out the burger buns. Wrap each patty up individually in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Then when you’re ready to eat, simply warm the patties up in the microwave until piping hot and serve inside a warm bun.
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, cooked (steamed or boiled)
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar vegan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 burger buns
- Place the cauliflower florets, chopped onion, minced garlic, oats, vegan cheese, olive oil, ground cumin, chili powder and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Blend for 1 minute, until all the ingredients are totally combined but there is still some texture left. You don’t want a soft puree. You might have to scrape down the inside of the bowl with rubber spatula a couple of times to make sure everything gets mixed up.
- Evenly divide the mixture into 4 portions and shape each one into a patty.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat on the stove. Cook the burgers for around 10 minutes on each side, until the outsides are crispy and the insides are cooked through.
- Place each burger inside a burger bun and serve whilst hot.