When the weather gets hot, the last thing you want to do is heat up your kitchen by cooking first thing in the morning. Also, if you work out in the morning, you may not feel like eating hot foods that may make you feel hotter. These breakfasts are quick, flavorful and will keep you cool during the hot weather.
1. Hard-boiled eggs and a bagel. Make a big batch of hard-boiled eggs over the weekend to eat during the week to save time on a busy day. On the side, have a small whole wheat bagel or other whole-grain bread. Toppings include peanut butter, low-fat cream cheese or fruit preserves. Hard-boiled eggs travel well for on-the-go as well. Active people need more protein after a workout and an egg is known as one of the “perfect foods.” Don’t skip the yolk as that is full of essential nutrients as well as the whites.
2. Peanut butter banana smoothie. Blend together one whole frozen banana, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 cup milk of choice (cow’s, almond, soy, etc.) and ice. If you want extra protein, add a scoop of protein powder. The banana is rich in potassium, which is important for electrolyte balance in active people. The peanut butter is high in healthy fats and protein to keep you full through the morning.
You can enjoy the all the benefits of oatmeal without pulling out a pot or using the microwave.
3. Overnight oats. You can enjoy the all the benefits of oatmeal without pulling out a pot or using the microwave. Before you go to sleep at night, combine 1/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup plain yogurt (Greek or regular), half of a banana and your choice of toppings in a bowl. Excellent choices include fresh berries, chopped nuts, cinnamon and nut butters. Cover loosely and set in the refrigerator. Your breakfast will thicken overnight and be ready to eat by morning. Oats are rich in whole grains and fiber while the yogurt and milk have calcium and protein.
4. Granola parfait. Combine layers of Greek yogurt with your choice of fresh fruit and granola. This breakfast can be made many different ways with your choices of toppings. If you love tropical flavors, try coconut-flavored Greek yogurt, chopped pineapple and mango with layers of granola and shredded coconut. Another option is vanilla Greek yogurt, chopped apples, cinnamon, pecans and granola for an apple cinnamon parfait. The parfait can be made ahead of time. Just add the granola in the morning and eat.
5. Whole grain blueberry muffins. Yes, you do have to cook blueberry muffins but they can be made days ahead of time and enjoyed all week without heating up your kitchen that morning. Add a side of fruit and you have a complete breakfast. These will help you meet your daily fiber and whole grain nutritional needs. The blueberries are rich in antioxidants, which is important for recovery after a strenuous workout.
Do you have a favorite breakfast that energizes you for an active day? Tell us about it in Comments so we can all learn from each other.