Christmas morning is a time for yummy breakfasts, a hot cup of coffee, pajamas and smiles on your kids faces as they open up their presents. These three breakfast options can be made the night before so that on Christmas morning, you can focus on spending time with your family, not on having to slave away in the kitchen.
These recipes are all made lighter than usual but are still delicious and can be enjoyed by the entire family.
3 cups fruit of choice (apples, pears, cranberries, frozen fruit, etc.)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
2. Spray a slow cooker with nonstick spray.
3. In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the peach filling and mix.
4. On the bottom of the slow cooker, place a layer of bread. Then add 1/4 of the fruit filling and repeat so that there are three layers of bread. Add the rest of the filling to the top.
5. Pour egg mixture over bread.
6. Set crockpot to cook on high for about 2-2 1/2 hours or on low for 4 hours or until the bread has soaked up all of the liquids.
CRANBERRY BANANA NUT BREAD
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 medium, very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup frozen cranberries
1/2 cup mixed nuts
2 tablespoons nuts for topping
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF, and lightly grease a medium-sized bread pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine the mashed banana, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and eggs. Stir until combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add the cranberries and nuts. Mix well.
5. Pour the batter into your loaf pan, spreading it out evenly.
6. Top with nuts and bake for 40 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool before serving
LIGHTENED UP DEVILED EGGS
¼ cup reduced fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoons finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons dill relish
1 ½ tablespoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
Paprika for color on top
1. Hard boil eggs. Once cooked, run under cold water. Immediately remove shells from eggs while they are still warm as it is easier this way.
2. Cut eggs in half, remove yolks and add to a bowl (throw out two of the yolks). Mash yolks with a fork. Set aside egg whites.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients except paprika together with the yolks.
4. Fill egg whites with a heaping teaspoon of yolk filling.
5. Sprinkle with paprika.
These can be eaten immediately or stored in the fridge for a couple of days.